In July, the team at DigitalOcean has been hard at work on key product enhancements for your favorite offerings, including App Platform, DigitalOcean Storage options, developer solutions, and more.
DigitalOcean Spaces introduces HTTP/2 faster and safer
Spaces and the Spaces CDN now support HTTP/2 clients. HTTP2 is the latest HTTP protocol and it’s being used more every day. It’s more secure as it uses binary protocol instead of plaintext. HTTP/2 gives a better web experience by reducing load time significantly as sending binary is faster.
HTTP/2-conformant clients now receive HTTP/2 responses, while others receive HTTP/1.1 responses. In certain cases, such as when an HTTP/2 request has a formatting error, it may downgrade to HTTP/1.1 for operational reasons, as permitted by the HTTP/2 specification.
DigitalOcean App Platform (PaaS)
Hugo and Go Buildpacks versions NOW available
Buildpacks are open source tools that automatically containerize raw source code so you can focus on writing code instead of containerization. DigitalOcean App Platform uses Buildpacks to containerize your source code and deploy it for you. The new updates will help Hugo and Go developers deploy faster. App Platform has Buildpacks for the most popular languages. Developers can can build and deploy 3 static sites for free.
We updated the default version of Hugo from 0.99.1 to 0.101.0. You can override the default version by setting a HUGO_VERSION environment variable. For more information and configuration options, see the buildpack’s documentation page.
We added more Go versions and default versions of Go have been updated. For more information and configuration options, see the buildpack’s documentation page.
Reserved IPs Floating IP
We have renamed Floating IP to Reserved IP. The Reserved IP service retains the same functionality as the prior service. The decprecating Floating IP endpoints and fields (floating_ips) will remain available until the fall of 2023. Please update any automation, scripts, or services to the new Reserved IP endpoints.
- Current version of doctl (v1.77.0) deprecates the floating-ip commands in favor of the new reserved-ip ones
- New API endpoints and fields (reserved_ips) to reflect the name change
If you use the Projects API to query Reserved IP resources, the endpoint still returns reserved IP addresses in the floating_ips field.
Faster storage with NVMe proliferation to more datacenters—DigitalOcean Block Storage Volumes
Newly-created Block Storage Volumes are now on NVMe-based storage at the same cost for NYC1, NYC3, SFO2, SFO3, FRA1, SGP1, LON1, and AMS3 datacenters. Most existing Block Storage Volumes remain on SSD-based storage. We’re continuing to roll out NVMe, in the interim, you can migrate volumes using rsync or similar tools to copy data.
The DigitalOcean API now supports listing Droplets by name by using the name query parameter, as in GET /v2/droplets?name=”your_droplet_name”. Learn more in the API documentation.
DigitalOcean Developer Solutions
[email protected] is a distributed computing project for simulating protein dynamics, including the process of protein folding and the movements of proteins implicated in a variety of diseases. it brings together citizen scientists who volunteer to run simulations of protein dynamics on their personal computers.
- Appwrite provides you with all the core APIs you need for building a modern application packaged together as a set of easy-to-use Docker containers.
- Okteto is a development platform for Kubernetes applications. Build better applications by developing and testing your code directly in your own Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Invoice Ninja open-source platform to create & email invoices, track payments and expenses, and time billable tasks & projects for clients.
- Deadletter facial Identification Tool – an open-source machine learning platform for research, personal and commercial applications.
- ThingsBoard Community Edition ThingsBoard is an open-source IoT platform for data collection, processing, visualization, and device management.
Try SaaS Add-Ons today!
Add-Ons (SaaS) are available on-demand from innovative software providers that apply to the DigitalOcean Marketplace.
Do you have an idea for improving our products? Submit your feedback and vote on other user suggestions on our ideas page. If you have questions, ask them here.
Originally written by Ivan Tarin, Sr. Product Marketing Manager at DigitalOcean.